Open-Sourced SS13

Hey guys, here’s an update for you in regards to SS13 Standalone.

After a period of putting this project on hold, We’ve made the decision to release the source code, meaning the standalone is now a fully open-sourced project. Here’s a few things you should know:

WHY?

Unfortunately, we were unable to dedicate enough time to work on this project full time.

During development, many of our lives were changed via real world factors. Starting families, babies, jobs etc. While progress was impressively fast at first, all of these things ultimately contributed to us running into difficulties with continuing the project.

We made a promise to open source the project if we ever decided to stop development. While this was a heated internal debate, the decision was ultimately to call it and go ahead.

Releasing what we have as an open sourced project will hopefully inspire the SS13 Community, and give them a chance to work on the project in our stead. We’ve already seen a lot of interest and discussion among the larger community, spanning every branch of the game. We hope that this will lead to some form of collaboration.

If you want to join the discussion, please go to #spacebus on irc.rizon.net

IS THIS PROJECT DEAD?

The site was set up to act as a dedicated hub for both BYOND SS13 and any other version that may see the light of day. The SS13 remake as we know it is no longer in development. This does not mean it will never happen, just not in this form. This site will continue to act as a dedicated space for all things Space Station 13.

While this may disappoint some of you, it was incredibly educational for those of us on the team. We had a very bare bones form of the game running, and with some additional work, time and content, we believe it is possible for an iteration of SS13 to exist separately from BYOND. This is hopefully where the community comes in..

We want to thank every single one of you for sticking with us for all this time.

Thank you.

WHERE CAN I FIND THE SOURCE CODE?

Right here!

ATTRIBUTION

• Code: Keelin, Nyxation (Tyler Merta), Ostaf, Volundr/Spoogemonster
  • Minor code additions: Edad, Nannek, DrSingh
  • Art: Keelin, Tan Teck Weng
  • Icons: Item Icons were lifted from TG-Station – thanks
  • Badly botched coder art: Volundr/Spoogemonster
  • Design and Concepts: Keelin, Ostaf, Supernorn (Adam Riches), Tan Teck Weng, Volundr/Spoogemonster
  • 3d Modelling: Synchronic (Joseph Riches)
  • 3d Rigging and animation: Hamshot (Ben Guilbert)

COPYRIGHT

The Authors retain all copyright to their respective work here submitted.

LICENSE

All human-readable source code materials in this repository are licensed under the GPL, version 3.

All images, models, and rigging files in this repository are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States license.

WARRANTY

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

21 thoughts on “Open-Sourced SS13

1. Royced

While I’m no coder and have no idea what to do from here, I’m happy for the update regardless. Hope you all enjoyed what you started, and I hope even more that the community can make you proud with what we can try to do.

2. gabriel

gagagagagagaggaggaggagagagagagaggaga8oi4bthl8io q3hgo89rtgh8vwystv897ew5gbvty7e5wb9gybevi7wr8yt7954yt3wuryn98fg374wt93y4q7i tbgvretbq4tb7nvr4e9q746y5t7qv34o9t7n49vwyr6t439ovtb9785346tr463728910-23e4-rt0yhuutrieowqwiudyhfjudksalokihsjakloikdhjskidjufhgdjfhgjkdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffjfdjkiduijdueruy4r785trfnvcj

3. Pingback: Evac Shuttle: Space Station 13 Remake Open-Sourced | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

4. BankShotCharlie

This is amazing! But guys.. Where the hell is the ‘SpaceStation13.exe’?!?. I can’t even open the dang game, please, please… Help! P.S Thanks for open source, you guys are great!

5. Tony

Well fuck. You just broke my heart.. My biggest wish of all time is gone. Hopefuly the community will continue on this, probably wont doe…

1. H3XX

Well, there’s always Centration if you’re like me and can’t stand the lagging of the Beyond version. I do hope this one gets picked up by the community though; I was really looking forward to playing it…

6. TickTock

Yikes, this a component entity architecture, its already throwing a couple of exceptions on compile I dont even know where to begin. You could build the game from scratch faster than trying to sift through all this.

7. crawlkill

this is hardly the first SS13 remake to go to pieces! I think one of your pixel artists ended up working for Starbound? that alone is super exciting. thanks for the insider view on the project while it was still lively! hopefully something will happen with your groundwork some day, and in the meantime, I wish everyone involved in the project all the best.

8. George Melons

All my hopes and aspirations of blowing up a 3d station have the same chances of an Assistant actually being useful.

9. Derek Pakkala

I just found this game today, I was EXTREAMLY exited for this game and to see what it was and I just read this update and now I’m pretty dam sad cause this game is awesome and has so much in it. Well good luck and I hope you guys had a TON of fun making it 😀 Maybe il even see one of you guys on there 😉 Good luck with your lives and thank you!

10. Justin

I tried fiddling around with it but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to get it to work lol. Looks like I am having problems with the Gorgon library. It would probably also help if I wasn’t a Java guy…

1. Justin

Never mind, drank two beers, grew a mullet and McGyvered it into submission. Seems pretty neat wish you guys didn’t leave it.

11. Slight0

While I’m glad you released the source code, withholding the sprites for the game really sucks. That’s at least 50% of the work right there. I’d rather you at least put the sprites up for sale or something. Another concern is the licensing. Does GPL v3 mean that any derivative works must include full source code? If so, that pretty much puts the nails in the coffin.